Students have the opportunity to select from a variety of classes and to challenge themselves in Honors and Advanced Placement classes with teachers who have engaging and stimulating lessons and an impressive AP pass rate. In 2012, there was an 83% pass rate with 677 students taking 1371 AP Exams.
Despite being around for 100 years, Redondo looks to the future in offering new classes like AP Chinese and Expository Reading and Writing, and programs such as STEM, which includes Biomedical Science, Engineering, and Environmental Pathways. They provide students with many opportunities to take part in whatever sparks their interest, and to provide guidance in these programs so students can gain confidence and learn the skills that they will use in life after high school. The journalism and yearbook program, for example, have Adobe software that is used by premier newspaper and design organizations.
Additional Programs & Honors:
- Academic Decathlon – Placed 6th in LA County and participated in the state competition.
- Academy of Health and Fitness- a school within a school focusing on career paths in Health and Fitness.
- AVID – Advancement Via Individual Determination provides academic preparation for middle-performing students who desire to attend college.
- Beach Cities Robotics –award winning program inspires interest in science and technology by partnering students with adult mentors. 2010 World Champions in the FIRST competition.
- ELD-designed to support students of limited English Proficiency
- MCJROTC – A leadership education program, which instills a value of citizenship, service to the United States, personal responsibility, and a sense of accomplishment. 2010 Naval Honor School.
- Outstanding Achievement Award for performing in the top 5% of all California schools.
- Safe School Ambassador and Link Crew implementation.
- Special Education- special instruction in a Special Day Class or Resource Specialist Program for students with identified special learning needs.
- 30 CIF Championship Finals in athletic programs.
- 2003 – 2006, 2008 & 2009 Pacemaker Finalist, the Pulitzer Prize of high school journalism in both yearbook and newspaper.
- 2009/2010 National Scholastic Press Association All American, 10 times in 11 years and NSPA Hall of Fame.
- Redondo Union High School (RUHS), a comprehensive high school, is located approximately ten miles southwest of metropolitan Los Angeles.
- RUHS is a public four-year secondary school in the city of Redondo Beach.
- The community is comprised of primarily professional middle and upper income families. Enrollment is just over 2,500 students taught by a faculty of over one hundred teachers.
- 58% of teachers have earned the equivalent to a Masters degree or higher.
- RUHS is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and has regularly received six-year accreditations.